Healthy zucchini chocolate chip muffins! This recipe uses almond flour rather than traditional all-purpose wheat flour for a much lower carb and gluten free treat. These delicious morsels are perfect for a quick, grab-and-go breakfast, snack or dessert. Whip them up in just 30 minutes!
*Disclaimer: This article may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
INGREDIENTS FOR ZUCCHINI CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS:
- Zucchini: eat your veggies in a muffin (you’ll never know it)!
- Eggs: add flavor and act as a binder, helping muffins to rise.
- Pure vanilla extract: a delicious staple for all baked goods.
- Greek yogurt: activates baking soda and acts as a healthier replacement for oil!
- Agave: sweeten it up with some agave or substitute honey/maple syrup if preferred.
- Almond flour: a healthier, gluten free flour option that can be used in baked goods of all sorts.
- Baking powder & soda: leavening agents!
- Salt: adds additional complexity and flavor.
- Lemon zest: bright and happy for a summery muffin.
- Dark chocolate chips: the best part of this recipe in my humble opinion. I love the contrast of dark chocolate, zucchini and lemon! I always use Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips because they are amazing!
A QUICK OVERVIEW – MAKING ZUCCHINI CHOCOLATE CHIPS MUFFINS:
Keep scrolling for complete recipe and instructions. We’ll start here with a super quick rundown!
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Measure all wet ingredients into a large bowl and whisk well.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a smaller, separate bowl.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet, and stir gently (do not overmix).
- Gently stir chocolate chips into batter.
- Place silicone liners (or paper liners) in a 12 count muffin pan and lightly coat with non-stick cooking spray. Portion batter into each cavity until each is three-quarters full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Once a toothpick comes out clean, muffins are done.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
- I really love and highly recommend reusable silicone muffin pan liners. They work so well with this recipe (and many others) and completely eliminate sticking. Pictured below are the liners I purchased. They’re affordable, cute and dishwasher safe!
Step by step photos:
Almond Flour Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins | Gluten Free!
- 1 cup zucchini puree *approximately one medium size zucchini
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar *sub maple syrup or honey if preferred
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips *see note below
Recipe notes:Chocolate chips: I always use Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips – they are SO good. I highly recommend them!
- Puree zucchini in a food processor (*tip: a cheese grater works well if you don't have a food processor)!
- Measure zucchini puree, eggs, vanilla extract, Greek yogurt, agave nectar and lemon zest into a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a separate, smaller bowl and whisk well.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet and gently combine (be careful not to overmix as this can cause muffins to sink in the middle)!
- Stir chocolate chips into batter.
- Place silicone liners (or paper liners) in a 12 count muffin pan and lightly coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Portion batter into cavities and then bake for 18-20 minutes until golden. Once a toothpick comes out clean, muffins are fully baked.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
- Refrigerate in an air-tight, food-safe container for 3-5 days.
- Simply microwave on high for 20-30 seconds!
MORE HEALTHY DESSERT IDEAS!
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cheesecake Bites | No Bake!
- Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal
- Apple & Red Pear Nachos
- No Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls
- Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Cookies | No-Bake!
- Strawberry Banana & Chocolate Protein Smoothies
- Gluten Free Peach Cobbler