Chicken enchiladas with white sauce feature shredded chicken mixed with sautéed onion, jalapenos, hatch chilies and cheese.
Roll filling in soft, low-carb tortillas and line in a baking pan. Cover with creamy, homemade sauce, top with additional shredded white cheddar and bake.
Delicious, quick, and keto friendly (with approximately only 10 net carbs per enchilada). Perfect for an easy weeknight meal!
*Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A QUICK RUNDOWN – MAKING CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH WHITE SAUCE:
Keep scrolling for complete instructions. We’ll start here with a quick overview!
- Measure olive oil into a large pot on the stove top and turn heat to medium. Dice veggies and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Spoon a quarter of sautéed veggies into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add cream cheese, broth, spices and lime juice to the pot. Once cream cheese has melted, transfer ingredients to a blender and puree.
- Place shredded chicken, 1/2 cup shredded cheese and 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce in the mixing bowl containing sautéed veggies. Chop cilantro and green onion and add half to the bowl, reserving the rest for garnish. Toss ingredients together.
- Add a thin layer of sauce to the bottom of your baking pan.
- Portion chicken filling into low-carb tortillas, roll and line in your baking pan. Cover with sauce, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Garnish with chopped cilantro, green onion or other desired toppings.
- Plate and enjoy!
- Sauce: Avoid drenching your enchiladas too heavily with sauce before baking to avoid soggy tortillas. If you have a lot of extra sauce, you can reserve it as a topping.
- Shredded chicken: I typically have shredded chicken on hand because I make it in batches and store it in the freezer! You can also buy pre-shredded chicken at the grocery store if you don’t have it readily available or you can purchase a rotisserie chicken in the deli section and shred at home.
- Hatch chilies: Can’t find fresh hatch green chilies in the produce section? Use canned! Instead of sautéing, simply add half of one small can to your sauce (just before blending) and place the other half in your shredded chicken filling.
- Low-carb tortillas: This is my favorite brand of low carb tortillas! You can buy them on Amazon, but I usually get them at my local Kroger (typically I find them stacked right beside the regular tortillas). They’re super tasty and have only 4 net carbs each – perfect for a keto recipe!
Chicken Enchiladas With White Sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large hatch green chilies *see note below
- 2 large jalapeño peppers
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 8 oz. block cream cheese
- 1 14.5 oz. can chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 & ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- Juice from one small lime
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese *divided
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro *divided
- ¼ cup chopped green onion *divided
- 8 low carb tortillas *8 inch *see note below
- Tomato, diced avocado, sour cream, salsa
Recipe Notes:Hatch green chilies: if you can’t find fresh chilies in the produce section, use canned! Instead of sautéing, add half of one small can to your sauce (just before blending) and place the other half in your shredded chicken filling. Low carb tortillas: this is my favorite brand of low carb tortillas! You can buy them on Amazon, but I usually get them at my local Kroger (typically I find them stacked right beside the regular tortillas). They’re super tasty and have only 4 net carbs each – perfect for a keto recipe!
- Measure olive oil into large pot, place on stovetop and set heat to medium.
- Remove veins and seeds from peppers (if you like your food spicy you can leave them in the jalapenos)!
- Dice chilies, jalapenos and onion. Place them in the pot and sauté for about 10 minutes, until onions begin to caramelize.
- Remove a quarter of veggies, place them in a medium size mixing bowl and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Cut cream cheese into cubes and add to the pot along with chicken broth, pepper, cumin and lime juice. Once cream cheese has melted, transfer ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place shredded chicken, ½ cup of shredded cheese and ½ cup of enchilada sauce in the mixing bowl containing sautéed veggies. Chop cilantro and green onion and add half to the bowl, reserving the rest for garnish / topping. Toss ingredients together.
- Cover the bottom of a 9×12″ baking dish with a thin layer of sauce. Portion shredded chicken mixture into tortillas, roll them up and line in baking dish. Pour the rest of your sauce on top of tortillas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake enchiladas for 20 minutes (until sauce bubbles). Allow them to cool and garnish with remaining chopped cilantro, green onion and any other desired toppings.
- Plate and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?!
Wahoo! Thank you trying it out – please be sure to leave a rating! Simply click on the stars in the recipe card above.
More Healthy Mexican Food Recipes:
- Easy Homemade Guacamole
- Beef Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Chicken Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Classic Skinny Margaritas | Just 5 Ingredients!
- Taco Salad Bowls With Shredded Chicken
- Low Carb Taco Casserole