Can you believe Thanksgiving Day is only two weeks away!? If you need an excellent side dish idea for your holiday festivities, look no further. This recipe is so easy to make. Even better, it looks super fancy and impressive. These delicious scalloped sweet potatoes feature a buttery brown sugar sauce spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Top it off with mini marshmallows and chopped pecans and you have the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner!
*Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A quick rundown – making scalloped sweet potatoes:
- Time to fire up the oven. Preheat to 400°F.
- Peel your potatoes and use a mandoline slicer or knife to cut potatoes into thin medallions.
- Line medallions in your baking dish.
- Mix butter, brown sugar, spices, salt and water in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Allow ingredients to melt together. Use a pastry brush to distribute about 3/4 of the mixture over the sweet sweet potato medallions. Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove foil, use a pastry brush to distribute remaining sweet sauce mixture over the potatoes. Sprinkle with chopped pecans & mini marshmallows. Broil in the oven for 1-2 minutes.
- I highly recommend getting a mandoline slicer if you don’t have one just yet. They are so handy in the kitchen! Whether you use a knife or mandoline for this recipe it’s easy to whip up, but a mandoline will certainly cut down on prep time.
- You don’t need a large quantity of pecans for this recipe and many grocery stores carry small packets of nuts. Before buying a large bag of pecans, check to see if you can find a mini bag in the baking isle.
- Scalloped potatoes are traditionally made in an au gratin baking dish. I don’t have an au gratin dish in my collection just yet and with Christmas approaching, we’re trying to save up some extra cash for gifts. I decided to get creative and use the beautiful, porcelain pie dish we received as a wedding gift last year. It worked like a charm! If you don’t have an au gratin dish, I recommend using a pie baking dish or any other shallow baking dish you have on hand!
Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
- 5-6 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into thin medallions
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup packed dark or light brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel potatoes, cut them into medallions and arrange them in your baking dish.
- Place a small sauce pan on the stovetop. Add unsalted butter, brown sugar, water, spices and salt. Turn heat to medium and stir ingredients as they melt together.
- Once the mixture is fully melted, use a pastry brush to evenly distribute ¾ of your sauce onto sweet potato medallions. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from the oven and take foil off. Distribute the remaining ¼ of your sauce mixture onto the potato medallions. Sprinkle with chopped pecans and mini marshmallows.
- Place baking dish back into the oven and turn it to the broil setting. Broil for 1-2 minutes to toast the marshmallows. Keep a close eye on the dish as your broil, it won't take long!
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
If you loved it…
Please share this post! Scroll down to leave a rating and a comment or leave a rating simply by clicking the stars in the recipe card above!