Make this healthy, creamy potato soup right in your slow cooker! This delicious recipe is extremely easy and requires only 15 minutes of hands on time.
Chop potatoes into cubes, sauté onions/garlic and throw it all in the crock pot. Add broth, cream and spices then mix it all up – turn on the crock pot and that’s it!
Now you’re free to get things done around the house. It’s a beautiful thing. Even better? This tasty soup is gluten free and low calorie.
Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
INGREDIENTS FOR SLOW COOKER POTATO SOUP:
- Gold potatoes
- Vegetable broth
- Yellow onion
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Heavy cream
- Sour cream
- Bay leaf
- Salt & pepper
- Italian seasonings
- Smoked paprika
MAKING POTATO SOUP IN SLOW COOKER – A QUICK OVERVIEW:
Keep scrolling for complete recipe and instructions. We’ll start here with a quick rundown!
- Rinse and dry potatoes, chop into cubes and place in your crock pot.
- Measure olive oil into a pan on the stove top, turn heat to medium low.
- Chop onion and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and sauté 1-2 more minutes.
- Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Turn slow cooker on low and cover, check and stir occasionally.
- Once potatoes are soft (about 3 hours), remove bay leaf.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender until desired texture is reached.
- Portion into serving bowls, add desired toppings and enjoy!
- Special equipment: I highly recommend purchasing an immersion blender if you don’t have one already! You can transfer soup to a regular blender for puréeing, but that’s such a hassle. I recently bought this immersion blender and it is AMAZING (plus affordable). Once you get your hands on one of these beauties, you won’t ever go back to your old ways. It’s so worth it to invest in this incredible tool!
Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- 5 lbs. gold potatoes *10-15 medium size potatoes *see note below
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 & ½ teaspoons salt *see note below
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika *see note below
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- 5 & ½ cups vegetable broth *approx. 3 cans
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- Chives, green onion, bacon bits, shredded cheese, sour cream
Recipe notes:Gold Potatoes: russets will work as well! Don’t forget you can use the scales in the produce section at the grocery store to weigh out your potatoes if you can’t find a 5 lb. bag. Salt: because different brands of vegetable broth have varying levels of sodium, you may want to add salt slowly and taste test along the way. Smoked paprika: regular paprika will also work but I especially LOVE the flavor of smoked and highly recommend it.
- Rinse and dry potatoes. Chop into cubes and place in your slow cooker.
- Measure olive oil into a frying pan on the stove top. Turn heat to medium low.
- Dice onion and sauté for 5-10 minutes, until translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté 1-2 more minutes. Transfer to crock pot.
- Add bay leaf, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, Italian seasonings, vegetable broth, heavy cream and sour cream. Mix everything together.
- Turn crock pot to high and cover. Check soup occasionally and stir.
- After about 3 hours, potatoes should be soft.
- Remove bay leaf. Use an immersion blender to puree soup until desired texture has been reached. Leave some larger chunks of potato or puree until completely smooth! (*Tip: you can also transfer some or all of your soup to a regular blender to puree if you don't have an immersion blender).
- Portion soup into bowls, add desired toppings and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?!
Wahoo! Thank you so much for trying it out – please be sure to leave a rating! Simply click on the stars in the recipe card above.
More fall soup recipes:
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup With Basil
- The Best, Easy Tailgate Crockpot Chili
- Creamy White Chicken Chili