If you enjoy a traditional greyhound, you’re going to love this classic with a vivacious kick! The Wild Greyhound Cocktail recipe showcases seasonal winter fruits like grapefruit and pomegranate with orange vodka, and cardamom . Top it all off with a splash of sparkling champagne and you have the perfect cocktail recipe to ring in the New Year!
*Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A QUICK RUNDOWN – MAKING A WILD GREYHOUND COCKTAIL
Keep scrolling down to find complete instructions for this recipe. I’ll start here with a quick overview!
- Seed your pomegranate and peel/zest your grapefruit.
- Place seeds and fruit in a blender and blend for 20-30 seconds.
- Pour mixture into a mesh strainer and use the back of a spoon to squeeze juice out of pulp and seeds into a small bowl (I like to use a large Pyrex measuring cup because it makes it easier to measure your mixture into cocktail glasses).
- Add orange vodka, grapefruit zest and cardamom. Whisk to combine.
- Place ice in an 8oz cocktail glass. Measure 1/2 cup of your juice/vodka mixture to the glass.
- Top with champagne and add grapefruit peel & a sprig of rosemary.
- If you want to make your cocktails looks extra fancy and impress your family and friends, I highly recommend purchasing an ice mold! I love this mold so much and plan to use it to make gorgeous beverages year round.
- If you don’t have a blender you can cut your grapefruit in half and squeeze it into your bowl or measuring cup. Here is a great post and video on how to juice a pomegranate by hand.
- To make pretty a pretty garnish out of strips of grapefruit skin, you will need a high quality fruit/vegetable peeler. This is the peeler I use for everything! It’s super high quality, dishwasher safe and really affordable. It makes working with thick skinned fruits and vegetables easy.
Wild Greyhound Cocktail
Wild Greyhound Cocktail
- 1 large pomegranate
- 2 large grapefruits
- ½ cup orange vodka *see note
- 1 750ml bottle of champagne *your favorite!
- 1 teaspoon grapefruit zest
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- Grapefruit peel
- Sprigs of fresh rosemary
Recipe notes:Orange vodka: regular vodka will also taste great in this recipe!
- Zest one grapefruit until you have about a teaspoon of flakes. Then use a high quality peeler to make strips of grapefruit skin. These strips will later be used for garnish as shown in photos above. Reserve your second grapefruit for pretty, decorative slices.
- Seed pomegranate and remove entire peel from the grapefruit you used for zest and garnish strips. Reserve 2 tablespoons of seeds for garnish and place the rest in a blender along with peeled grapefruit.
- Blend for 20-30 seconds. Place a metal mesh colander over a small bowl or Pyrex measuring cup and use the back of a spoon to squeeze the juices out of the pulp and seeds into the bowl below.
- Add vodka, grapefruit zest and cardamom and whisk well to combine.
- Add ice to an 8oz cocktail glass and measure ½ cup of your mixture into the glass. Top with Champagne and decorate with reserved pomegranate seeds, grapefruit slices, grapefruit peel and rosemary.
- Enjoy! Cheers!
If you loved it…
Please share this post! Scroll down to leave a rating and a comment or leave a rating simply by clicking the stars in the recipe card above.
Happy New Year! Cheers to 2021!