Smoothies are my FAVORITE thing for breakfast or an easy, healthy dessert / snack (especially on a hot summer day)! Simple and classic, this strawberry banana & chocolate protein smoothies recipe calls for only five ingredients and takes ten minutes or less to whip up. Get out your blenders, it’s smoothie season!
*Disclaimer: This article may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
INGREDIENTS FOR HEALTHY STRAWBERRY BANANA & CHOCOLATE PROTEIN SMOOTHIE!
- Frozen strawberries: sweet and tangy! I love making this smoothie during the peak strawberry season (June/July).
- Frozen banana pieces: creamy and sweet (extra ripe equals extra sweet).
- Vegan/gluten free chocolate protein powder: whichever brand you prefer!
- Unsweetened vanilla almond milk: really any type of milk will work great in this recipe: oat, coconut, rice, cashew, etc. Not trying to stay dairy free? Regular milk works fine, too.
- Spinach: in a smoothie? That’s right! Eat more greens without even tasting them.
HOW DO YOU MAKE A THICK SMOOTHIE?
- A good blender is particularly helpful if you’re wanting to make nice, thick smoothies. A cheap blender just doesn’t have the power necessary for a super thick concoction. More power gives you the ability to blend your frozen fruits with less added liquid, giving you a thicker final product! I absolutely LOVE my ninja blender, it’s truly one of the best things I own. You can use any blender to make delicious smoothies, but I recommend investing in a nice one at some point. They make all the difference in the kitchen and can be used for endless recipes.
- Whenever you have ripe bananas, chop them up and place them in ziploc bags. Store in the freezer for future use in smoothies, breads and muffins.
- Keep a large bag of frozen strawberries in your freezer so you always have them on hand (especially during the summer smoothie season)! To save some time, consider purchasing frozen strawberries at the store rather than buying and freezing them yourself.
- It can be hard to use spinach up before it goes bad and it’s such a bummer to waste food. You can extend the life of spinach by freezing it before it wilts. Simply place leaves in a Ziploc bag and remove as much air as possible. Freeze for 2-3 months and use in any smoothie recipe!
- If you like the chocolate flavor in this recipe and want more, I highly recommend adding 1-2 teaspoons of cocoa powder. It’s super delicious and helps to satisfy chocolate cravings.
Healthy Strawberry Banana & Chocolate Protein Smoothies
- 8 oz frozen strawberries *see note below
- 3 oz frozen ripe banana pieces *the riper the sweeter!
- 1 scoop vegan/gluten free chocolate protein powder *see note below
- 1 & ½ cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk *or milk of choice
- 1 cup spinach *see note below
Recipe notes:Frozen strawberries: to save time, you can buy frozen strawberries at the store rather than freezing them yourself. I like to keep a big bag of berries in the freezer at all times during the summer months so I can make smoothies on demand whenever I’m craving a cold, sweet treat! Chocolate protein powder: I use the Vega One brand (nutrition info below is based on this). Want more chocolate flavor? I highly recommend adding 1-2 teaspoons of cocoa powder to your smoothie! It’s so delicious, doesn’t add many calories and is great for satisfying chocolate cravings. Spinach: extend the life of spinach by freezing before it wilts. Simply place leaves in a Ziploc bag and remove as much air as possible. Freeze for 2-3 months and use in all your summer smoothies!
- Combine all ingredients in a large blender.
- Blend on high speed for 30 seconds or until mixture is smooth. (*Tip: if necessary, you can add a dash more almond milk or water to get the consistency you prefer. You can also add a bit of ice to make your smoothie extra thick)!
- Portion smoothie mixture into two 16-ounce glasses.
- Add toppings like sliced strawberries, bananas, chia seeds or granola if desired.
MORE HEALTHY BREAKFAST IDEAS:
- Almond Flour Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins | Gluten Free!
- Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Cookies | No-Bake!
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal
- No Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls
- Ham & Cheese Quiche Cups | Crustless
- Blueberry Banana & Pecan Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Honey Apple Baked Oatmeal
- Pineapple Upside Down Baked Oatmeal